A commit is like a bookmark: you’re marking a point you can return to if needed. Each time you arrive at a decision while designing, commit your changes. If you change your mind about a decision, you can restore a project’s main branch back to any previous commit and take a different direction. We recommend committing several times a day to best document your team’s decision-making and iteration process.
Committing your changes does not affect the main branch. You change the main branch by merging.
Commit changes on a branch
To commit your changes:
- Create a branch in the Abstract desktop app.
If you don’t open your Sketch or Adobe XD files via the Abstract app, your work is not backed up in Abstract and you can’t commit changes.
- Make changes to your file(s).
- Click commit changes at the bottom of your Sketch window or in the Adobe XD plugins panel.
If you’re not seeing the commit button, make sure you opened your file via the Abstract desktop app. If you’re still not seeing the commit button, click File > Save. Saving should trigger the commit button to show up.
- Summarize your changes in the commit message.
- Commit comments are visible to your team. They act as a reminder of what was changed if you ever need to restore a previous Commit.
- Select COMMIT CHANGES.
- You can click More Options to see what’s changed or to discard changes before committing.
- For Adobe XD files, a preview window will pop up. You can close this window.
The edits you made in your branch are now visible to the rest of your project team. You’ll find a record of your commit in the commit history.
What’s the difference between saving and committing?
Saving makes a local copy of your changes on your computer. Committing saves your changes to Abstract.
If you save without committing, your Sketch and Adobe XD files are not backed up in Abstract. You must commit changes before your team will be able to see them.
Discard changes without committing
To trash changes you’ve made on a branch without committing:
- Save your changes by clicking File > Save.
- Click Commit Changes at the bottom of your Sketch window or in the Adobe XD plugins panel.
- Click More Options.
- In the pop-up window, click DISCARD next to any changes you’d like to delete.
- Click Discard.
Discarded changes are not recoverable.