This feature is only available on our Enterprise plan. Contact sales for more information.
Before you begin, make sure you have an Admin account (Viewer or Contributor) with Abstract.
Step 1: Configure SAML 2.0 for Abstract in ADFS
Abstract supports SAML 2.0 protocol. You may need to add the following information in ADFS:
Abstract's Assertion Consumer Service (ACS) URL
About SAML responses:
- We currently only support HTTP:POST binding.
- We are expecting an "email" Assertion Attribute, as shown below.
<saml2:Attribute Name="email" NameFormat="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:unspecified">
<saml2:AttributeValue xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:type="xs:string">firstname.lastname@example.org</saml2:AttributeValue>
You’ll need to set an attribute with Name to “email” and the value to the user’s email address (shown in screenshots below).
Additionally, make sure the "XML declaration" tag is present at the very beginning of the XML metadata:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Warning: If there is no Name ID element in SAMLResponse, you'll receive an error.
Step 2: Set up SAML single sign-on in Abstract.
- Open the Abstract app (desktop or web).
- In the left side pane, click on the organization name.
- Select the Permissions tab.
- In the Configure SSO section, enter your Metadata URL and Entity ID.
- Enter any manual exceptions you might have. Emails listed in the manual exceptions section will bypass SSO and be able to log in with email and password.
- Note: You’ll need to use primary email addresses in the manual exceptions list. SSO activation will fail if the email you list is a user’s secondary email. If that happens, you’ll see an error message with the primary email for the failing account. Add that primary email to the manual exceptions list after you’ve verified you know the user.
- Click Test with my Account. If the test fails, you’ll need to contact our support team to manually enable SSO.
- Toggle Activate SSO on.
- Click Save Changes.