In Abstract, a branch is where you can safely explore and edit designs on your own working copy of the main branch. This is where all of your work and progress is tracked while it is ongoing and how past work is recorded for later reference. When you create a branch, you become the branch owner and you are the only person who can edit the work in your branch.
If a branch owner is unavailable or has left your organization and has branches remaining open, an admin contributor can archive or merge their branches. However, you may also want to transfer the ownership of their branches to another user to continue the work. Any contributor user in Abstract can transfer a branch within a project.
Transfer branch ownership
To transfer branch ownership, the new branch owner needs to:
- Open the Abstract desktop app.
- Open the project containing the branch you’d like to take over.
- Select Branches from the left side pane.
- Select the branch you’d like to transfer.
- Click the three dots button in the top right of the page and select New Child Branch....
- Name this branch [Old title]—[New Owner]’s version or something similar.
- Click Create a branch.
- Select the parent branch from the left side pane.
- Near the parent branch title at the top, click the icon.
- Select Archive.
Note: Only admins can archive another user's branch.
Once the parent branch is archived, the child branch is automatically promoted to parent. From here, you can continue the work the original owner started.