Add and update content from Figma in Abstract Notebooks
Your visual designs bring your ideas to life in a notebook. With the Abstract Notebooks plugin for Figma, you can insert frames, individual elements, and symbols directly from Figma into your notebook. You can also create links from Figma frames and elements in a notebook back to the original Figma file so that you and your teammates can easily jump back to the relevant file. Show your visual designs within context, gather feedback, and track reviews all in one place, so everybody can see your complete vision.
Anyone with edit access to a Figma file can install and run the Abstract Notebooks plugin. You also need a contributor seat in Abstract in order to edit a notebook and add content.
Add content from Figma with Abstract’s Notebooks plugin
Install the Abstract Notebooks plugin and sign in to Abstract to insert designs from Figma directly into a notebook.
- Select the Figma frames, elements, or symbols that you would like to add to a notebook.
- Right click on the canvas or use the dropdown menu to access your installed plugins.
- Select Abstract from the plugins menu.
- Select the name of the notebook where you want to add the Figma content.
- Click Add to Notebook.
Update content from Figma
When you update content in Figma, you can use the Abstract plugin to push the changes to any designs that you have already added to a notebook.
Update all Figma content
If you have nothing selected in Figma, the Abstract plugin can automatically detect which frames, components, and individual elements in the current Figma file have already been added to a notebook and it can update all of those items.
Once you’ve added content to a notebook from a Figma file, that notebook will be selected by default the next time you open the Notebooks plugin. Use the back arrow to select a different notebook.
- With Abstract’s Notebooks plugin open, select the notebook you would like to update.
- Click Update existing to automatically update all frames that are already in the notebook with the changes from the current Figma file.
Update selected Figma content
You can curate which frames, components, and elements from Figma that you want to update in your notebook by selecting the individual items that have changed.
If you select a mixture of items that have already been added to the notebook and new items that have not yet been added, the existing frames will be updated and the new frames will be added to the bottom of the notebook.
- Select the Figma frames, elements, or symbols that you would like to update.
- With Abstract’s Notebooks plugin open, select the notebook that has Figma content that you would like to update. This will only update those selected items - it will not update any items you haven’t selected in Figma.
- Click Update existing.